Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Single Life Part 3: Love Yourself

One thing I have been working on as a single person is learning to love myself and who God created me to be.  How can we truly love others when we don't love ourselves?  I don't think that is possible.  My hope is that this post will be an encouragement to you, and will help you to recognize how wonderful you truly are!

God both tells and shows us who we are all throughout the Bible.  He begins in the very first chapter in the very first book!

Genesis 1:27 ~ "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

We are not exactly like God, but we are a reflection of His glory.  We can find our worth in Him.  Because we were created in His image, we should love ourselves as He loves us.

Luke 12:7 ~ "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Don't be afraid: you are worth more than many sparrows."

God knows us so well that He knows exactly how many hairs are on our heads.  He determines our worth.  By finding our own worth and loving ourselves, we can have a closer relationship with God and better live out His plan for us.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 ~ "The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'"

Psalm 139:13-16 ~ "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

God knew both Jeremiah and David before they were even conceived, and He had a plan and purpose for both of them.  The same goes for you and I.  God knew you before you were even conceived.  He planned you.  He created you exactly as He wanted you to be.  He has a plan and purpose for you.

John 3:16 ~ "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 15:16 ~ "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit - fruit that will last - and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you."

God chose YOU!  He loves you!  He loves you so much that He gave his one and only Son for you!  Jesus chose to love you, and He chose to die for you.  You were chosen for a purpose, to bear fruit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galations 5:22-23)

Ephesians 2:10 ~ "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Ephesians 4:22-24 ~ "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

God considers us to be his handiwork or masterpiece.  How dare we treat ourselves any other way?  He loves us as we are, and created us as we are for a purpose.  He has prepared that purpose for us in advance.  So put off your old self, and put on your new self.  See yourself as God sees you.  Love yourself as God loves you, and BE who God has created you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment